I’m often on the go and eating out, and when I’m home I enjoy a lot of low carb take-out. One of my favorite restaurants here locally (and when traveling!) to grab a quick healthy meal is Ruby Tuesday. I’m practically addicted to their Chicken Bella!
They have plenty of low carb meals on the menu, and several tasty low carb side items too. Which is a refreshing change, as you’re often stuck getting a side salad or steamed broccoli at most restaurants – which does get old after awhile.
This weekend I ordered out from Ruby Tuesday, and decided to switch it up a bit. I wanted to try something NEW. In usual form, I checked the website and their current nutrition facts before placing my order.
I decided on the Crab Cake Dinner. According to their nutrition facts, the crab cake itself is only 1 carb. ONE. Wow. So I ordered that… along with my two favorite sides: grilled zucchini and green beans:
Right away I tasted bread, or breading of some kind. Not much mind you, but just a tad. It was definitely “mostly crab” (and delicious!) but I was suspicious of the ingredients – and the nutrition facts. I put the meal into MyFitnessPal, and did a little groundwork on Google, and this seems more accurate (13 net carbs):
Geez! 😯 That’s quite a difference!
Fortunately I had bacon & eggs for breakfast, and steak & bacon with mushrooms for dinner, so it *barely* put me over my carb count for the day (20 net carbs). Still, that could really throw someone off if they’re diabetic, have certain food allergies or sensitivities, or they are just seriously restricting carb intake.
I’ve put in an email to Ruby Tuesday to clarify the nutrition facts, so I’ll keep you posted on that. Keep an eye on the comments here on this post to hear what I find out. 😉
Like I said, my favorite meal on their menu is the Chicken Bella:
^ These macros are accurate according to MyFitnessPal AND their website (9 net carbs for the entire meal).
Ruby Tuesday Low Carb Entrees (Without Sides):
- SE Grilled Chicken Salad (3 carbs, 3 fiber = 0 net carbs)
^ ?? I don’t trust this one either!
- Chicken Bella (4 net carbs)
- Blackened Tilapia (2 net carbs)
- New Orleans Seafood (6 net carbs)
- Plain Grilled Chicken (0 net carbs)
- Plain Grilled Petite Sirloin (4 net carbs)
- Grilled Salmon (0 net carbs)
- Plain Grilled Top Sirloin (6 net carbs)
- Coastal Trio – Cajun Tilapia (2 net carbs)
- Coastal Trio – Lemon Parm Tilapia (5 net carbs)
- Jumbo Skewered Shrimp (0 net carbs)
- Blackened Tilapia (2 net carbs)
- Rib Eye (6 net carbs)
- Black Fire New York Strip (6 net carbs)
- Asiago Peppercorn Sirloin (8 net carbs)
- Petite Sirloin & Lobster Tail (4 net carbs)
- Top Sirloin & Lobster Tail (6 net carbs)
- Chicken Fresco (8 net carbs)
*Note: Their steaks are obviously marinated in something with sugar!
Ruby Tuesday Low Carb Sides:
- Fresh Steamed Broccoli (4 net carbs)
- Fresh Green Beans (2 net carbs)
- Fresh Grilled Asparagus (5 net carbs)
- Fresh Grilled Zucchini (3 net carbs)
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash (4 net carbs)
If you choose a salad, or get the salad bar, be sure to request “no croutons” and use a low carb dressing. You can see their complete nutrition facts here.
I find Ruby Tuesday to be a great place to stop on road trips, and one of my favorite spots for quick easy low carb take-out too. What are your favorite healthy menu items at Ruby Tuesday? Leave a comment and let us know! 😀
UPDATE: Here is the response from Ruby Tuesday: